Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Dog Days of Summer (and super powers)

It is always hot these days in south Texas...always…

The heat got my brain to wondering about what the phrase "The Dog Days of Summer" means, because I'm pretty sure that is what we are experiencing down here (my perception of this is almost certainly contributed to by the fact my car's air conditioning has not worked since January). According to "The Oracle" (my name for Wikipedia) and at least one other random web site, the phrase goes back to Roman days. Apparently it means "the hottest and muggiest part of the season". It makes reference to the "dog star" Sirius which is the brightest star in the sky (excluding the Sun, of course). It is bright enough that the Romans believed that earth received heat from it.

In the summer, Sirius rises and sets with the sun. During late July Sirius is in conjunction with the sun, and the ancients believed that its heat added to the heat of the sun, creating a stretch of hot and sultry weather. They named this period of time, from 20 days before the conjunction to 20 days after, “dog days” after the dog star.

Interesting, no?

As uncomfortable as long afternoon rides in my car can be, that does not mean I do not enjoy certain parts of this heat. For example, I can air dry my clothes faster (and cheaper) than by using my clothes dryer. I can BBQ at any time of the morning, afternoon or evening and it doesn't feel weird (see my delicious lunch from the other afternoon).




I've have learned however, that it is important to do your jogging in the mornings or evenings otherwise this is what ends up happening...not pretty...



On a totally different note, sometimes I wish I had a super power (apparently I watch too many movies). If I could choose a super power it might be strength or memory...or perhaps flight. These guys are about as close having a super power as anyone I can think of...TOTALLY AWESOME!


No comments: